Reconnect: Engagement and Learning Support
Access Skills Training is one of 26 Registered Training Organisations that is receiving funding to provide Reconnect services to vulnerable young people (15 – 24 years) in Sandhurst, Mt Alexander, Macedon Ranges regions. We have 98 positions available across the 3 regions.
The Reconnect Program is highly flexible and supports mentoring of participants, one on one. Reconnect supports the individual to work towards engagement into a government funded course and through to its successful completion.
The program is very focused on taking small steps and empowering participants to make decisions that create and implement a career pathway of their interest.
AST Mentors respect Reconnect participant’s individual needs and support their choices towards gaining engagement into VET education or employment.
AST is working with Castlemaine Continuing Education (CCED), Kyneton Community & Learning Centre (KC&LC), and regional outreach service providers to provide learners with the supports they need so that they can successfully participate in education, training and employment.
AST may register eligible Participants at any time prior to the 31st of December 2017. Mid 2017 is a desirable date for the majority of registrations to be completed
AST Reconnect coordinator is the contact for referral of participants for registration in Reconnect:
Lynn McShanag Reconnect Coordinator:
The Reconnect service will be available until mid – 2018 for the registered clients.
Registration into the Reconnect Program will involve but not limited to:
- Assessment of educational and support needs, identifying barriers and linking/referring client
to support services to increase capacity and wellbeing.
- Development with the client an Individual Learning and Achievement plan, identifying and
supporting student career aspiration and implementation, including short term and longer
- This plan will include Participant/ Mentor agreement with provision for regular contact with
the mentor in an informal environment and support by the mentor to progress towards
engaging in small groups
- The plan will be individualised and if a participant is not ready for an accredited program, they
will be engaged in but not limited to:
- Capacity building through mentoring/small group, pre-accredited programs, and
youth focused programs/ work experience, until the client is ready to engage and
enrol in a government funded course.
- Small group workshops focused on:
- Community engagement (volunteering), aspirations/making decisions, daily living/
wellbeing requirements, education and work requirements, time management,
communication /team building behaviour, risks taking, drugs/alcohol/crime/sexual
- Pre-accredited programs in vocation career and employment pathways “STEPS 2 SUCCESS”
- A work placement component when it is in an accredited VET course. Mentors will work with
participants to achieve work placement of vocational interest and relationships with local
- Monitoring and Assessment throughout the Reconnect duration and the participant’s journey
to the chosen accredited training is at a minimum of once a month, until mid-2018.
- Transition Services/plan for each student, planning and facilitating student transition through
further training or the work force.
- Increase the number of 15-24 year olds currently disengaged young adults, early school
leavers and those that have completed year 12 but are not in training or fulltime employment,
to enrol in and complete a VET qualification as a pathway to further education training and
- Increase the likelihood that these students will remain in and engaged in training, by providing
a number of additional supports necessary to sustain their participation to successful